11.6.07

Illo Friday: Suit

Is this cheating? I'm going to use some images I baked previously for this week's Illustration Friday.
Here's a character design I sketched for an animation exercise earlier this year. An ageing newsreader.


And here's how he looked in the finished product! As you can see, he's very excited to broadcast to the masses.

He was made of a wood and wire armature, covered in plasticine, with a removable jaw.
It was really fun to make.I haven't 'sculpted' anything in years. It feels great making something with my hands, even if it is a grumpy newsreader with a receding hairline.

12 comments:

Alicia Souza said...

aww..thts cute!
im studyin in melbourne too! which uni? i like his lack of hair...*rub rub

alicia varela said...

wow!! this is a great work!!

SLW said...

So do you have the animation posted anywhere? I can almost hear his bored, monotone voice...

Anonymous said...

this is great it reminds me of the red nose studio illios. great stuff i think i am gonna go sculpt right now!!

- C H R i S

esillustration said...

This is amazingly amazing. You are amazing! Thanks for sharing :-)

-tofusquirrel

Anonymous said...

sweet! i love the illustration and the sculpture. wonderful work!

aeneadellaluna said...

Very impressive work! very live like..love the expression!

mike r baker said...

HA! S'wonderful! :)

Anonymous said...

ew - that comb-over looks truly horrible rendered in plasticine, and those close-together eyes freak me a little, he's great!
I can just imagine his pained sigh at reading out some local-interest story at the end of each broadcast.

Tali said...

thank you nice people.

allie - i'm at the VCA

slw- nope, the animation is not online - sorries!

andrew - haha! truly horrible is just what i was going for!

Lara said...

Haha, ignore andrew, he's just bitter and twisted (just look at his drawings) :P

Jannie aka Chickengirl said...

I recently started to play with polymer clay again too. This guy is great!