20.3.11

These are the bears of our lives

Last week at the Craft Hatch market, I had the pleasure of sitting next to Jess of Teddy Bear's Wednesday.


Jess makes the most gorgeous bears and softies, as I'm sure you'd all agree, and I'm very happy to have taken home this lovely bunny, Pearl.


I think Jess has a great philosophy about her bears and toys. She writes:
"A more worn and loved bear is apparently 'less valuable' but I believe that he is more valuable in a way that can't be measured because he has the marks of love and the scars of life on him."

It instantly made me think of my own childhood bear, who I will share with you today on my blog. Here he is, My oldest friend, who has been with me since I was born.


When I was a kid, I tore out his eye and threw it over the balcony, because I was really interested in watching things fall. A few years later, I had pangs of guilt over my teddy's eye, and went digging in the garden down below our apartment, looking for it, but it was too late.

So my bear has the marks and scars of a tough life in my company, but he is still with me, and like a true friend, I could never throw him out with the garbage.

5 comments:

teddybearswednesday said...

Oh Tali, THANK YOU!!! this is so gorgeous and lovely of you! you are too kind. It means a lot you took the time to read my label and you share my philosophy.
I love your old guy, and you throwing his eye out is part of story so i wouldn't worry ( and bears very forgiving)
I'm sorry the last week has been hectic but I've been meaning to reply to you.
I love my print and i loved hanging out with you and meeting you at Craft Hatch.xo

Carolyn said...

Super cute post!

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Tali,
How honored I was to see your avatar and comment on my blog. I found your blog through my brother Eric's blog. I adore your work. It's magnificent and delicious! I really like your style so very much. Thanks so much for stopping by.
Vanessa

Alice said...

i let out a little gasp when i saw your bear - i have the exact same breed- built-in orange overalls and all! he's completely flattened and worn, like all good bears should be :-) love your work, please keep it up and let's all think warm thoughts this winter!

Valerie said...

I have a Ragedy Ann that is just as well loved as your teddy and I wouldn't give her up for all the money in the world. LOL